Saturday, January 10, 2009

The "new" Living room!

Brad my DH is an asthma suffer-er. when we bought & moved into our house 5 years ago he bemaoned the fact that the Livingroom, adjoining computer room/dining room & all the bedrooms were carpeted.

After Nixie our Youngest clawed a hole in the carpeting at the door in the living room our first year, we discovered the living room at least has Oak floors...This has set in motion the mess that took over my house 3 days after Christmas.
step 1 Remove all acumulated junk from Living room....Pile in other rooms & Porch.

step 2 Remove carpeting, padding, Tack strips & Staples


STep 3 Sand



step4 Stain

The stain was actually a tough decision, most of the wood work in the house is a natural color. I wanted a warmer tone for the floor since it will be cooler with out the carpet. We ended up choosing "Red Oak" it stains a nice deep cherry color.
Step 5 Varnish, let it dry, sand it again & give it a second coat.

step 6 let varnish cure for 3 days & then slowly move stuff back in to the living room

You never appreciate how much you use an area untill you cant! it seems so much bigger now.
Step 7 make new prettys to complement the new floor
These throw pillow covers are super simple. I got the instructions in my e-news from sewthankful.com The fabric is out of my stash all 100% washable.


3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful new floor! Well, it's not "new", but you know what I mean. He did a great job on it!
    Just wanted to let you know that I am having a tatting giveaway on my blog. You are welcome to join in if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need some ideas for 'rag' rugs, let me know. And I love stash pillows. They are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cat named Nyxie, too! hehe

    ReplyDelete