My Bento gear arrived on Friday from Ichiban Kan, http://www.ichibankanusa.com/
I ordered the Natural Lunch Two tier & the two tier oval boxes both in greeen
I also got the flower & bear rice moulds, bear & bunny egg moulds, Happy Fruit mayo cups, The Penguin mayo cup, & the 3 piece mini containers.
Upon opening my box I was a bit dismayed! Since I had spent the last month reading & looking at pictures of fabulous bentos that looked Bursting with food....these boxes seemed WAY TO TINY!
As I sat and pondered I realized, since we tend to eat on a Flat plate that most of our food is spread out. A bento would force you to squish things into a more compact space. hmmmm
I thought some more, The American view for food protions is horribly screwd, just this winter our local arbys started asking what size value meal we wanted, I usually get medium for everything...when my order came out is was double what I had been getting, I realized the small was the portion I needed. At Mcdonalds A Happy Meal is the correct adult size portion as well.
With all of that in mind I set out yesterday to make my First Bento, in my nifty new box. I also made A nifty Furoshiki and Bento Belt from this Tutorial on Just Bento http://justbento.com/forum/how-make-furoshiki-and-matching-bento-belt
I had a packet of smoked salmon in the fridge so I decided to use that up by making a california-ish roll, Smoked salmon, carrot, & grilled red pepper strips, Ginger Wasabi Sauce, black sesame seeds, All wrapped up in rice & Nori, YUMMM. 2 sections of that became the one end of the top tier.
Next came a hard boiled egg, shaped into a bunny. A note here...Grade A Large eggs dont work so well in the egg moulds. I will have to start getting the smaller ones. Bunny was sliced in half and sprinkled with sea salt & cracked black pepper.
This took my box to just over the half way point in the top tier being filled. What on earth could I put in the next spot?
When making the rice for my calofornias rolls I decided to try out the rice moulds....they fit perfectly in the last spot! I pan fryed the out side in olive oil & sesame oil for a bit of flavor. To give them a lift in the box I made carrot sticks & they are tucked underneath, there is a side car of Hummus to dip them in too. Broccoli florets that have been blanched filled in the gaps.
The bottom tier was the easiest. The mini containers take up a little over half of the space, so I filled that with Plain yougurt, honey on top & added some red seedless grapes to fill up the end.
I am really curious to see if this will fill me up at lunch & keep me full untill I get home.
If it doesnt I have a backup to keep me from getting to crabby in the middle of the afternoon, An apple.
ummm...looks yummy!!!
ReplyDeleteI've been sitting here listening to you music..really have enjoyed it very much! Linda :O)
ReplyDelete