Monday, March 30, 2009

I made Sticky rice!

Why is this Blog worthy you may ask? Becasue it brings me a step closer to Bento'ing Every day!

Sticky rice is actually a short grain rice rather than the usual Long grain you find in the Uncle Bens Box http://www.justhungry.com/2007/01/looking_at_rice.html Just Hungry takes a nice look at rice types.

You can make do with uncle bens, as my first california rolls can attest, ad a bit of vinegar & sugar to your boiling water & it can become quite sticky...But not sticky enough as I found out when tryign to pan fry Onigri :(

I picked up a bag of short grain(uruchi-mai) rice labeled for Sushi at our local Martins. And decided to experiment last night.

I love rice, & I cook it quite often, watching this rice cook up was rather diffrent, 1/2 cup rice to 1 & 1/2Cup water bring the water to a boil, ad the rice, reduce heat & pop on a lid & walk away is my normal routine....with sticky rice?? Ummmm NO!

once the rice hits the water & starts cooking it makes a gelatinous skin wich seems to make the water more prone to boiling over. My pot did this twice before i got it turned down to just Low & it simmered away nicely...

That Gelatinous skin is what makes it Sticky rice. It has a more Nutty flavor that my usual long grain rice, & with salt it is devine!

Out of a 1/2 cup un cooked rice I had enough to make 1 california roll, 4 Small shaped Onigri, & a Stuffed onigri (stuffed it with Smoked salmon & wasabi yummm)

The small onigri I tried pan fryign again. I wasnt patient enough & they were sticking so I just dipped them in sweetend soy sauce & ate them last night with a side of refridgerator Pickles.
They made a good snack.

for todays bento I have the california roll, deviled egg, Olives, A babybel cheese, Peanuts & an apple. I didnt take pictures was feeling tired & didnt want to dress up the presentation :)

No comments:

Post a Comment